Sunday, January 11, 2009

Reply-all e-mail storm hits State

In the News the past couple of days is a story about the State Dept. telling their people not to hit the Reply all button on their emails. As reported in Yahoo News, the cable a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press was sent in response to major interruption in departmental e-mail caused by numerous diplomats hitting "reply all" to an errant message inadvertently addressed and copied to several thousand recipients.
At the end of my Military career the internet and email was just getting started. Everyone from the Commander to the lowliest Airman had to have an email account. It did not take me long to realize that people, usually the higher ranking Non Commissioned Officers would not address their emails to the individuals the correspondence was aimed at. They just sent it to everyone. Needless to say I spent wasted time deleting emails that did not pertain to me.
Most people are lazy; they will take the easiest way out no matter what impact it has on other people. I did not complain to the Commander about this problem. It was obvious I was the only one that had a problem with this practice. When something like this happens someone finally does something about it. It could have been taken care of as soon as it was identified fifteen years ago. I am sure I am not the only one to recognize this problem through the years.
The password the Military give me consisted of at least ten characters and probably closer to fifteen. This was ridiculous. Then I spent valuable time deleting email that should not have been sent to me in the first place. I just threw the pass word away and never checked my Email again.
I really have to question the errant message inadvertently addressed and copied to several thousand recipients. In my experience as stated above this was standard practice. I do not think things have changed through the years. I can see through the illusion to what is. I know when some one is peeing on my boots and telling me it is raining outside. Until next time.

Norm.

No comments: