Monday, January 19, 2009

This Old House

My wife and I purchased a house in South Carolina in 2005. Many people spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their homes. These homes have quiet floors, insulated windows, and the latest technology in insulating their homes from the environment and the noise outside.
The house we bought is fifty fears old. The floors creak when we walk from room to room. The windows are drafty at times and there is no insulation in the walls. The old floor furnace groans and moans when it gets hot and when it cools down. We hear the neighbors coming home or going away.
A house of this caliber has character; it is built right into it. It is comforting to walk from room to room and listen to our home. Lying in bed I hear the furnace saying “hey it is ok, I am taking care of you”. If it gets a little drafty we throw another shirt or coat on and put another log in the fireplace.
As a child growing up in Michigan I spent quite a few years in a house similar to this one. It was two story but the noises were familiar. It is no mystery why my wife and I like an older home. It brings back memories of times past. Of homes we remember as children. You remember; times when we all felt safe and secure while in our parents care. Until next time.
Norm

No comments: