Sunday, November 9, 2008

I Enjoy Heating With Wood

I like wood heat, it seems to make a hotter fire than anything else I have found. Heating with wood also reminds me of simpler times in my life. I can remember going to the woods with my father to load wood in a wagon. The woods was five miles away and it was quite a trip for a little one; I was five years old at the time. By the time we got to the woods I would be cold and crying. My father would say come on stamp them feet and get to loading wood, you will warm up. Of course he could not convince me this was true.
After getting a wagon load of wood we would return the five miles home. I could not go into the house and get warm because the wood had to be unloaded and stacked. By the time all the wood was taken care of I was like an Ice cube. Mom would draw water in an old tub and soak me in it until I warmed up.
I loved the smell of the wood burning. I enjoyed the heat that come out of our one Heat register located in our front room. In the winter time we could see the soot from our furnace laying on the snow in the front yard.
To me it was a simpler time but to my father it was a lot of work. He always had to tinker with his saw to get it to run. Saws were heavier back then also. It was quite a chore to get in wood for the cold Michigan winters. I never heard him complain though.
I still use wood today in our home in Michigan in the spring of the year. We go to south Carolina for the winter. Yea I use wood down south also. It's nice to watch the fire burn in my Fireplace Wood Insert and think about simpler times. Till next time. Norm

No comments: