Sunday, November 2, 2008

I love Children

I love children, I love their innocence and their love of life. I like George Carlin but I do not always agree with what he thinks. I do not believe that it takes two parents to raise a child. I believe it takes two parents and a village to raise a child. When I start reminiscing I remember people in my village that helped me along the way.
There was the lady at Anderson's grocery store, that knew every step I took while I was in the store. No, she was not afraid I was going to steel something. One day I went into the store with a dime in my hand. I looked around for awhile to see what I wanted. A dime back then was quite a bit of money for a little guy. I finally spotted the gum ball machine. In my mind with the limited knowledge I had at eight years old, I thought I could get ten pieces of gum at once out of the machine. To my immediate disappointment I received one gum ball. Almost before I retrieved the gum from the machine the lady was there to console me. She knew what happened without me telling her. This lady loved me, she returned my dime and explained to me how the machine worked.
We had a neighbor that lived behind us. He and his wife would invite our family over for super every once in a while. Their children were grown and out of the house so these people were happy to spoil us. Not with gifts by any means but attention. We had to tell them all about school and how we were doing. They were sure to know about all of our interests and inquire about them also. After super was finished and the dishes were done we all went into the living room for small talk. Us kids were never shoved into another room to play because we were just as important as our parents. Just before we would leave they would ask us kids to sing. All three of us would stand together and sing our hearts out. The man and his wife would be praising us for the way we sung as we left to go home.
My second grade teacher taught my father also. She was old and when I say old I mean Grandma old. I loved her dearly and she loved me. I do not believe she singled me out as special but she sure made me feel that way.
My third grade teacher stoled my heart. You see I was rough housing at our house with my brother and broke my nose. When I got to school the next day she took me aside and inquired what happened. She sealed the deal when she kissed my nose.
We also had friends and neighbors that were sure to discipline us when we were naughty. They did not spank us but certainly lets know they were dissappointed in us. They not only told us we could do better, they explained how we could do better.
So as you can tell in my experience it takes two parents and a village to raise a child. Tell next time. Norm

No comments: